Graduate Certificate in Sport Management
In the current sports industry environment there is a lack of applicable training of professionals in sport sales and marketing. Although sports organizations increasingly recruit personnel for these responsibilities, frequently they must conduct their own training and/or demand that new professionals learn on the job.
The Citadel Department of Health, Exercise, and Sport Science offers a graduate certificate program designed to address developmental needs of personnel involved in sport marketing/sales. The Graduate Certificate in Sport Management offers five (5) courses that will enhance the breadth and depth of knowledge and skills in sport sales and marketing for students enrolled. These courses were specifically developed to broaden knowledge, skills, and abilities of working professionals in the field of sport management as well as provide such skills to students who wish to enhance their career marketability.
Requirements and application procedures for admission into the Sport Management Certificate Program:
- Complete the online graduate application along with a non-refundable application fee.
- Submit an official transcript of the baccalaureate degree and all other undergraduate or graduate work from accredited colleges and universities. Students whose degrees are from colleges and universities outside the United States may be required to have their transcripts translated by one of several academic credential evaluation organizations recognized by The Citadel Graduate College.
- Submit a resume to the Director of the Sport Management Program (Department of Health, Exercise, and Sport Science) detailing previous work experience.
- A letter of intent to the Director of the Sport Management Program (Department of Health, Exercise, and Sport Science) that addresses the following questions:
- How has your past experience prepared you for the Sport Management Certificate Program?
- How will your knowledge, skills, and attitudes contribute to the sport marketing/sales learning community?
- What do you hope to achieve if accepted to the Sport Management Certificate Program?
All material must be received by the Citadel Graduate College.
HESS-518: Sport Marketing and Finance
A course examining theories, principles, fundamentals, applications, and challenges of marketing and financing in exercise, sport, and recreation industries.
HESS-521: The Art of Selling in Sport
A course concentrating on knowledge, skills and concepts related to the “art” of sales, an area valued considerably in the sport industry.
HESS-523: Administration and Leadership of Exercise and Sport Organizations
A course examining organizational theory and behavior as well as leadership qualities related to exercise and sports organizations. Effectiveness, structure, and design of exercise and sport organizations are also addressed as well as cultures, leadership styles, conflicts, changes, and human resources involved in these entities.
HESS-558: Advertising in Sport
A course examining knowledge, skills and concepts required for successful advertising in the sport industry. Strategies and techniques of successful advertising will be examined throughout the course.
HESS-539: Sport Public Relations and Promotion
A course focusing on marketing and public relations principles and practices in the sport management industry.
What You Will Earn
Successful completion of The Citadel Sport Management Certificate Program with an emphasis in sport sales and marketing, will earn a Graduate Certificate representing fifteen (15) credit hours that have helped increase one’s knowledge, skills and competencies in sport sales and marketing. In addition, graduate programs, such as the M.A. Sport Management program at The Citadel, may accept these certificate program courses as credits towards completion of a Master’s degree with an emphasis in Sport Management (all or partial credits depending on individual institution).
For more information, please contact Dr. Harry Davakos (email@example.com, 843-953-5060), or click: